Friday, July 26, 2013

Review: Detained by Ainslie Paton



From one of Australia's hottest new authors comes a story about an international scandal, a billionaire, and a fearless reporter who might just save the day...
Confined in a cold, dull room in the depths of a Shanghai airport, a journalist chasing a career break and a businessman with a shadowy past play a game of truth or dare — deliberately not exchanging names.
They tell each other their most painful secrets and burning desires. One dare leads to a kiss and a wild night of illicit passion, setting off a dangerous sequence of events, bringing exposure and disgrace.
Only the brutal truth can save them. But it will also rip them apart. And it will take more than daring before they can build a new truth together.
(From NetGalley)

My Thoughts:
I really wasn't sure what to make of this book because I had a certain opinion of it based on the blurb, but it veered off into directions I didn't anticipate and became so much more than what I expected. Given the description, I thought the whole book was going to take place in that one room - or at least the bulk of it. As it turns out, that is just a small part of the book and is over quicker than I expected. This is when the book veers off into directions I never expected.
I'm not going to give anything away here because I don't want to spoil it for anyone else, but this book went in directions I never would have guessed at in the beginning. It was a rollicking roller coaster of a ride through the lives of the main characters, sometimes heart-wrenching, other times heart-warming, but always keeping me on my toes wondering how it was all going to end. The ending was well worth the wait. Satisfying without being overdone or sappy. The author struck just the right notes throughout the book, but especially with the ending. In the end, this book was much more than the fluffy romance I thought it was going to be and it was an enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment