Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Suffocate by S.R. Johannes: A Review



Blurb:

For centuries, the world outside the Biome has been unlivable. Today, marks the first time anyone will attempt to leave the suffocating ecosphere. Eria is not worried because her scientist father has successfully tested the new Bio-Suit many times. It's a celebratory day until something goes horribly wrong. In the midst of tragedy, Eria uncovers a deep conspiracy that affects the very air she breathes. 

If those responsible find out what she knows, they won't stop hunting her until she takes her last breath.



(From the author's website)




My Review:

I usually don't go for dystopia fiction. It just seems so depressing, all that apocalyptic end-of-the-world stuff, and that's just not to my taste. But, I've read and enjoyed this author's work before, so I decided to give Suffocate a try. I'm happy to say that I'm glad I did. Now I'm not claiming to be a dystopia convert, but I have to say that I did like this particular story. I think a part of it is that I like the author's work and she has a way of drawing the reader right into the story, but a good portion of it is the character of Eria.

I really adore Eria and I felt like I was right there with her, feeling what she felt - the excitement, the fear, everything. She is just a well fleshed out character and considering this is a novelette, that's a feat. And about that novelette thing - I both enjoyed and cursed it. Enjoyed the fact that I could gobble up this story in one sitting - and cursed that I did it. Now I have to wait for more. So unfair! I want to know what happens now.

For all you fans of sci fi, dystopia, and just good storytelling about a girl wondering what her place is in the world - even if that world is artificially created - this is a great little book for you. So give yourself a treat and check this one out. I promise you won't suffocate!

(Review copy provided by author)

1 comment: